Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Ooh! Shiny!

The first time I picked up a clarinet was freshman year of high school in JV band. Soon as I picked it up I loved it, the sound, the feel. I practiced all the time, couldn't get enough of it. I was pretty good too (not to toot my own horn, no pun intended lol). Sophomore year I joined varsity band, I played Bb clarinet in the marching band in the summer and Bb contrabass clarinet concert band in the fall. Needless to say, I love clarinets. And ever since I started to play the clarinet 13 years ago, I have always wanted a silver clarinet. Guess what? I bought one.


One of the biggest projects I will probably work on this year is restoring this 1920's Windsor Silver Clarinet and Case. Bought on Craigslist for $70. I plan to fully restore this clarinet and reupholster the case. As you can see from these pictures the clarinet has decades of patina covering it. Also the years of neglect have rusted screws, fused hinges and destroyed the pads. I have many many hours ahead of disassembling, cleaning, polishing, reassembling and installing pads. Not to mention the case. This should be fun. =D








\

2 comments:

  1. can't wait to see the finished product!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome restore! A relative found a Winsor clarinet buried in a farm field when digging a foundation. Not sure what year but it looks exactly like yours. Hard case/red. Information as to age and what to do with it? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete